Foodservice Operational Strategies
Operational Strategies for Menu Research and Development
Operational Strategies for Menu Research and Development introduces participants to details of front-line foodservice operations and the factors that need to be considered as they apply to menu R&D. The course is structured on the menu research and development process, and examines the role of operational logistics and food delivery systems and the specific operations activities that occur at each stage of the process. A basic understanding of foodservice operations is needed for success in this class.
After completing Operational Strategies for Menu R&D, you will be able to:
- Evaluate a foodservice operation's sales using Quadrant Analysis to identify menu items that may be candidates for revision or removal.
- Explain the role that foodservice operational logistics and food delivery systems play in the menu R&D process.
- Develop an understanding and empathy for foodservice operators and identify the day-to-day challenges they face in implementing new menu items.
- Describe current foodservice trends and identify possible implications they provide.
- Understand the roles played by corporate strategy, marketing, operations, profitability, and the product expectations of guests.
- Assess the operator back-of-the-house and front-of-the-house needs in the development of new products.
- Investigate potential product and supply chain options.
- Complete basic financial analysis of new menu items and present possible sales and pricing strategies as part of the new menu concept process.
- Develop effective training and implementation tools that support the success of a new menu product.
- Create and conduct an effective test market process for evaluating new menu items.
- Design and implement comprehensive launch and rollout plans for new products.